As 2017 comes to a close, you are likely thinking about your resolutions for the new year. What are your goals for 2018? Undoubtedly, you have professional and personal goals that are important for you, and during this time of reflection and anticipation of the new year, why not think about adding better dental health to your list of resolutions?
It is important to consider the impact that your dental health has on your overall well-being. By committing to better brushing habits and routine checkups, you can ensure that you will not only have a great looking smile but will be healthier and happier overall. This new year, consider adding a few positive oral hygiene habits to your list of resolutions. These may include:
- Choose healthier food and beverages – Acids and carbohydrates in food are large contributors to tooth decay, so consider making some healthier choices this year, especially when it comes to snacking. Using gum or lozenges that contain Xylitol can help neutralize acids and can help prevent the buildup of plaque, so be sure to consider this as an after-meal option. In addition, try to remember to brush your teeth after every meal, including snacks!
- Remember to brush and floss correctly – While most people remember to brush, not everyone follows the proper procedures to brush correctly. Brush at least two times per day with a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste. Also, remember to floss at least once per day to remove food and bacterial plaque from your teeth. By practicing better brushing and flossing habits, you can prevent gum disease, cavities, tooth decay, and the dreaded bad breath!
- Consider whitening solutions – A healthy-looking smile can make a huge difference in your personal and professional life. By flashing a smile with clean, white, healthy-looking teeth, you will see noticeable improvements in your love life and at work. Whitening can be done with special toothpaste, professional bleaching, over-the-counter whitening products, and peroxide bleaching agents.
- Correcting your smile with braces or restorative dentistry – If your teeth are crooked, or if you are in need of crowns, implants, fillings, or other issues, make sure to make an appointment with your dentist today. There is no time like the present to fix those pesky issues that have bothered you for years.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly – While it is important to take care of your teeth at home, visiting your dentist is an essential component of proper oral hygiene. You should visit your dentist twice a year to make sure that you get a professional cleaning to prevent oral diseases or catch existing problems early.
By considering all of these good habits and implementing them this year, you can enjoy a happier, healthier 2018! To schedule your appointment today with the team at Dental Expressions NY, contact us at 718-260-6175. We wish you all a happy New Year, and we’ll see you in 2018 to help get a head-start on better oral hygiene in the year to come.